Kia Sonet has been so popular ever since it was first launched in India. Following the successful footsteps of Kia Seltos, the Sonet sub-4m SUV is scoring high in terms of sales every month. Kia gives the Sonet all of the Seltos's good traits in a more compact package. Read on to know the Kia Sonet latest updates, prices, specs and mileage and more.
Choosing a good compact SUV is quite a headache for the Indian auto buyers as there are a lot of models available for sale these days. Be it Kia’s third product, the Kia Sonet is one of the options for SUV seekers who are keen on features and compactness. The South Korean automaker just introduced the Kia Sonet 2021 a while back with some latest features that make it the best in the segment.
The Sonet shares its underpinnings with the Hyundai Venue but it has very little in common with its siblings. This is what makes the Kia Sonet an interesting car in the sub-4m SUV segment.
The new Kia Sonet is completely worth buying. The new Sonet ticks all the right boxes like design, features and engine variants. Kia just introduced the 2021 Sonet recently, seeing the introduction of the brand’s new logo and a host of updates.
In terms of design, the Kia Sonet deviates itself from its cousin sibling. If all you want is a looker that can turn every head of others on the crowded roads, the Sonet fits your criteria perfectly. The “Tiger Nose” front grille in gloss black finish, knurled chrome lip at bottom, LED headlamps, project fog lamps, lavish 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels and other visual highlights.
The subcompact SUV gets some additional feel-good features such as paddle shifters, rear door sunshades and voice-operated sunroof among many others. It sports the best-in-segment materials quality. There’s a massive 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with UVO connect, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support, power sunroof, wireless smartphone charging, leatherette upholstery and so on.
On the safety front, the Kia Sonet is equipped with six airbags, ABS with EBD, electronic stability control, rear parking sensors with a rearview camera and more.
Under the hood, the Kia Sonet is offered with frugal and diversified powertrain options. If you are looking for practicality and value for money, the base 1.2-litre petrol engine with a 5-speed MT that churns out 82 BHP and 115 Nm of torque comes as the right combination. The new Kia Sonet also comes with a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine that gets an iMT and a 7-step DCT, along with a 1.5-litre turbo-diesel motor paired with a 6-speed Advance AT unit.
The price of Kia Sonet starts from Rs 6.79 Lakh to Rs 13.35 Lakh in India, making one of the best compact SUVs under 10 lakh. The petrol range of Sonet goes up from Rs 6.79 to Rs 13.09 Lakh while the diesel variants start from Rs 8.35 – 13.35 lakh.
The Kia Sonet takes on some other sub-4m SUVs like Hyundai Venue, Mahindra XUV300, Tata Nexon, Ford EcoSport, Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger, Toyota Urban Crusier, etc.
Here are some pros and cons of the Kia Sonet you should know.
What you may like:
- Seltos’s success formula in a smaller package: The Kia Sonet is essentially a mini version of Seltos.
- Good look: the Kia Sonet is one of the best-looking compact SUV in India
- Impressive features: There are some hits like ventilated seats, power sunroof, 7-speaker Bose sound system, auto headlamps, cruise control and wireless charger and many others.
- Excellent powertrain options, especially the fast and enjoyable turbo-petrol engine and the fantastic diesel-AT variant.
- Safety: Kia Sonet is equipped with many safety features including 6 airbags, ESP, TPMS, etc.
What you may not like:
- Limited interior space that makes the Sonet just a 4-seater
- Pricing: The top-spec variant is even more expensive than the Hyundai Venue sibling
- The 1.0-litre turbo-petrol doesn’t offer a manual transmission.